This is really easy, really quick recipe, that draws out the deceptively simple (yet delicious) flavors of West Bengal's cuisine. Panch Phoron (Bengali 5 Spice), one of the main flavor components, can either be bought prepackaged, or you can learn make it right here: (enter link!!!). I used frozen mixed vegetables to make this dish, and, being in a hurry, served it with some canned sardines.
1 cup of mixed frozen carrots and green peas
1 tbsp mustard oil (or olive oil)
1 tbsp of Panch Phoron (Bengali 5 Spice)
1/2 teaspoon of ghost chili powder (or cayenne)
1/2 tsp asafoetida (or 1/2 tsp garlic and onion powder)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 itch piece of diced ginger
1 chopped, fresh long chili pepper
Salt (to taste)
1) Add 1 tbsp of oil into a pot over med heat
2) Add 1 tbsp Panch Phoron, and let it fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly
3) Add the diced ginger and fresh chili peppers, stirring constantly. Cook for 3 mins
3) Add 1/2 tsp asafoetida,1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and stir
4) Add the frozen vegetables, and cook 5 mins on medium heat (or until they're no longer frozen)
5) Add salt to taste, and enjoy.